Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

TMI from the cake lady

Now here is all the info you’ve been dying to know about your local cake baker – A history of Lisa, in brief.
When I was growing up I had a babysitter. My mom started taking me to her when I was only 6 months old. I remember this woman as having been old, old, old from the first memory I have of her. But man could she bake! She was a member of Eastern Stars (the woman’s group in partnership with the Mason’s) and they would have a bake sale every other week. This woman made everything from scratch. Bread, doughnuts, cakes, pies, cookies, you name it and she baked it.
From the time I was old enough to hold a rolling pin, I was in the kitchen helping my babysitter bake everyday. I learned early on to watch for that moment of pure pleasure that crosses someones face when they bite into something delicious. That was the reward I grew up looking forward to everyday.
About the time I was 12 I was old enough to not need a babysitter any longer and sadly that ended the baking period of my life for many, many years. It wasn’t until I was in college and living on my own that I really started to bake again for pleasure. But once I graduated and entered the work place, I had a whole new group of people that needed some simple pleasure added to their daily lives. Thus the cake lady was born.
Every office that I’ve worked in for the last 10 years has enjoyed the benefits of having a cake lady. No birthday goes unmarked, no baby shower without a cake. Tell Lisa your favorite treat and she will have it for you the next day. And I enjoy it, that’s the best part. But these treats were not pretty, only tasty.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts and I work in an office. So, should I have a creative outlet? Yeah, maybe. About the time that my son’s first birthday approached, I realized that pretty cakes are expensive cakes. I HAD to have the coolest possible cake to mark my son’s first birthday, so off to cake class I went. I realized almost immediately that this was what I had been missing. The visual component to my tasty treats!
Now I’ve taken all of the Wilton cake decorating classes and have read forums and blogs and books and everything I can get my hands on about cake decoration. Now I am a cake artist, and now I am Creations by Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment